Although the stereotypical man cave has become well-known for its pool tables, entertainment area and fridge stocked with beer, the girl cave offers a feminine, sophisticated spin on the signature boys-only space. If you’re hoping for an escape from the family room, a corner of your home which is truly your own is a chic solution. From décor suggestions to window treatments, here are some tips for crafting a relaxing haven at home- girls only, of course.
1) Decorate your space with dangling fairy lights: With their soft twinkling glow, indoor fairy lights can quickly transform a dull, dreary den into a heavenly space. By adding these micro LED lights on a slender wire, you won’t have to worry about the horrors of harsh overhead lighting! After all, a woman has every right to feel like a fairy tale princess in her personal girl cave.
2) Add sweet floral print curtains: If your den is dark and unwelcoming, a touch of the season’s jaunty florals can bring colour into the room. Avoid heavy drapes in muted tones, and accessorize your windows with lightweight white curtains with a garden inspired print.
3) Update plain walls with stenciled wall art: The ideal girl cave should have some creative touches as a decorative touch. Upgrade boring beige or off-white walls with stenciled roses, butterflies, abstract designs or eye-catching swirls of wall art. For a dramatic, artistic touch, try a metallic motif or vivid, contrasting colours like fuchsia and violet.
4) Use hanging bookshelves for a blissful reading area: For a serene escape into the pages of your favourite book or magazine, add a reading space into your cave. Try including edgy hanging bookshelves, a metallic shelving unit or a modern, funky cube bookshelf to store all your top titles in style.
Photo: The HighBoy (@the_highboy) on Twitter
5) Accessorize a daybed with vibrant throw pillows: The perfect ladylike space wouldn’t be complete without a leisurely daybed for lounging in the afternoons. Try pairing a sleek white daybed with vivid pink, teal or yellow pillows. For a patterned vibe, arrange striped accent pillows around the space to bring a new element into your new relaxation space. For minimalist style, add monochromatic cushions on a neutral daybed.
6) Create soft and stylish lighting with embellished table lamps: Bring a hint of exotic décor to your basement girl cave with embellished table lamps placed on side tables. Look for lamps with hanging beads, antique style detail and metallic accents for an alluring décor statement.