While you may call a cramped apartment home sweet home, you can always bring rustic country décor into your small space. Here are our top ways to bring rural accents and furniture into your humble urban paradise this summer.
1) Redecorate your kitchen with a wooden farmhouse style table and striped table linens: If your apartment boasts an eat-in kitchen, why not replace that second-hand, yellowing table with a bold wooden solution? The solid structure of a farmhouse inspired table brings a touch of the country to your city home. To add colour to the sturdy and dark wood surface, try accessorizing with a lightly striped table runner.
2) Add a painted wicker chair to your bedroom: Try adding a quaint wicker chair to your bedroom and painting it a snowy white shade for a fresh, streamlined look. For anyone craving a pop of colour in a pale, neutral bedroom, a coat of lavender or aquamarine paint can also help you embrace the season’s pastel trend for an updated wicker look.
Photo: CvdV (@CvdV) on Twitter
3) Embrace country charm with creamy quilts and yellow throw blankets: With country décor calling for sweet, innocent shades and understated tones, a bold tangerine accent wall or turquoise sofa may not be a great fit for this inspired theme. However, you can still embrace colour with pale lemon and daffodil throw blankets for your living room. For a refreshing cottage inspired feel, replace darker bed linens with cream-coloured quilts.
Photo: House and Decoration (@houseandecor) on Twitter
4) Display snowy white ceramic dishes on neutral shelves: As simplicity is the key for true rustic décor, white ceramic dishes can quickly update your space. For apartment-dwelling decorating addicts, adding dishes is also a quick and easy upgrade (as opposed to a full home makeover). Showcase those striking ceramic plates and mugs on beige or cream shelves, for a welcoming and clean vibe.
5) Update your apartment living room with refreshing white paint and gingham accent pillows: Maybe you’re tired of that fuchsia wall from last season’s décor experiment, or you’re looking to bring Spring 2015’s gingham runway trend into your home. Either way, a tiny living room can benefit from a coat of fresh white paint, which helps to open a small space and offer cottage charm. Meanwhile, wholesome accent pillows with a bright gingham print are a relaxed yet stylish finishing touch.