Although the elegant Victorian trend may have ruled the runways for Fall 2015, furnishings and décor from this time period can also bring an aristocratic flair to your home. If you’re hoping to update your space this season, look no further than the rustic vibe of antique furniture and Victorian inspired accents. Here are our top ways to incorporate a Victorian decorating scheme into your home décor for autumn.
1) Embrace a white colour scheme: For an immediate hint of sophistication, a crisp colour palette of creamy white can bring Victorian charm to your living room. Try upgrading your living room with cream-coloured walls, antique ivory sofas, snowy accent pillows and polished white upholstered chairs.
2) Create an elegant parlour with a grey daybed and metallic accents: To bring a taste of the 19th century into 2015, transform your humble, unadorned living room into a Victorian style parlour. By adding a dove grey daybed as a statement piece, you’ll instantly help to set the mood for hushed voices and tea in dainty china cups. Meanwhile, accent pieces like an intricate gold mirror, gold-edged mantelpiece and brass lamp bring a contrasting touch to a cool, muted space.
3) Decorate your living room with an ornate chandelier: If you’re craving a quick trip back in time, a magnificent chandelier will impart a 19th century vibe and keep your overall décor scheme modern. Look for a chic antique 12-light design with a metallic finish and elaborate detail to truly complete your decorating statement.
Photo: housetohome (@housetohome) on Twitter
4) Bring plush burgundy armchairs and sofas into your living room: With luxurious Victorian rooms of the past bringing rich, warm hues to mind, shades of burgundy can instantly revitalize your home for the cooler months. Jump into the trend with plush velvet armchairs in shades of maroon, paired with contrasting pillows and patterned wallpaper for a stunning effect.
5) Use heavy, embroidered drapery for a Victorian inspired effect: Since the windy autumn evenings ahead call for dramatic drapes, the Victorian style look of rich, regal curtains is a winning look. Choose thick drapes in shades of red for a larger room, or decorate your smaller space with embroidered ivory curtains for a subtle approach to 19th century décor.