Although it may be too early to begin decorating your home for the holidays, embracing the season’s plaid trend can help you transition your fall décor into the warmth and comfort of late autumn. Whether you’re simply craving a touch of texture and tartan in your living room or aiming to bring chic windowpane plaid bedding into your bedroom, here’s how you can easily update your space with Fall 2015’s most rustic home interiors trend.
1) Contrast a cream-coloured room with a black and white plaid rug: While plaid may bring the idea of festive red and green patterns to mind, you can just as easily embrace simplicity with black and white plaid. Try accessorizing a creamy white sofa, white walls and pale lighting with a statement area rug in a bold black and white plaid print.
Photo: Target Style (@TargetStyle) on Twitter
2) Adorn your living room with plaid throw cushions and quaint wooden accents: If you’re coveting country touches at home this season, bring instant warmth into your space with oversized buffalo plaid throw pillows in shades of dark blue and rich red. For a living room, den or sunroom which is home to light wooden finishes, the striking cushions can inject a hint of much-needed colour into a subtle space.
3) Bring a printed plaid tablecloth to your plain wooden dining table: Plaid accents might seem like a natural choice for the bedroom or living room, but you can also bring this printed trend into your dining room. Swap your simple white tablecloth for a welcoming tartan spread which will make you guests feel right at home at your next dinner party.
4) Turn to vintage inspiration with green and brown plaid: With the look of 1960s décor making quite the décor splash this season, plaid prints are also set to make a comeback in unconventional hues. For a change from red and black, turn to quirky colour combinations like forest green and forest green. Take a dramatic approach to the trend with a plaid sofa, or simply incorporate pops of the pattern with a single accent pillow placed on a solid leather couch.
5) Try combining plaid drapes with pale wooden flooring: If those blonde wood floors have left you seeking luxury and eye-catching patterns at home as the mercury dips, turn to plaid as a quick fix. Look for plaid curtains in simple shades of beige and black, or try brilliant scarlet flannel curtains to usher the frosty weather ahead into your home sweet home.